Tuesday 2 October 2012

Over spent, AGAIN....

Just had a bit of a shopping spree during the long weekend and bought a few interesting items. They weren't overly expensive individually, but I had intended to set myself a low budget and ended up buying more items than originally expected!

List for this weekend:

British War Medal to the Army Ordnance Corps
Cuba - Order of Carlos Finlay
Cuba - Order of Lazaro Pena
Cuba - Medal of Emilio Barcenas
Indonesia - Group of 6

I seem to have developed a bit of an affection for the Cuban medals - I guess it's just the sheer variety (well over 60+ orders and medals to collect) plus the colourful and interesting designs, especially for the orders. They're also fairly cheap to obtain if you know where to look.

The Indonesian group is interesting; I have another group of 5 which I bought years ago for over US$200 but this new group of 6 cost less than US$70. Very happy with this purchase given the rarity of Indonesian mounted groups out there. Will be posting pics once the various purchases arrive.

On a different note, I just learned this morning of the maritime disaster in Hong Kong where two vessels collided last night, resulting in one sinking and killing at least 36 people. It's no doubt a tragedy but I can't help wondering what medals are going to be awarded for bravery?? The Firies in Hong Kong are super professional and masters of what they do (they once had to airlift my Dad from the bush when he got into difficulty during his usual Sunday hike). I have huge respect for them and no doubt there will be a few medals dished out by the HK Govt. I am always impressed at the professionalism and efficiency of the displined services back in HK so kudos to them for the great work done overnight in rescuing those affected by the disaster.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Medal Man,

    Would love to see you share your Cuban medals at medalcheck.com where we are creating a collector based database of medals for identification and originality purposes.... as you've collected for so long im sure you've suffered the dissapointment of a fake / reproduction as I indeed have :-(

    ReplyDelete