Monday 24 September 2012

A fresh start! 742 medals and counting.....

So I've decided to get back into blogging, and this time instead of random ramblings I will actually have a focus - my medal collecting. At last count my collection had 742 medals from 90 countries, so there should be enough material to keep me going for a while! So where do we start...I know, lets start at the END...the END being my latest purchases. I'll try to attach a pic. If it doesn't work then hey I tried.


Sweet, it worked! As you can see, it's a bit of a hodge-podge. My collection is struggling to find a focus and I tend to buy whatever interests me at the time, or at least what's going cheap.

So what are they? Well, from left to right starting from the top row:

Burundi Medal of the Order of Patriotic Merit
Cuba Manuel Fajardo Medal
N.Korea Agricultural Merit Medal
N.Korea Commemorative Medal for the Fatherland War
Malaysia Kelantan Silver Jubilee Medal 2004
Malaysia Perak Long Service Medal
Nigeria Distinguished Service Medal

With the exceptions of the two Malaysian medals, they were all relatively cheap and purchased because I had nothing like them in my collection. The medal from Burundi is the first in my collection from that country, and the Cuban the first from the Castro era (I have a group from the pre-Castro days). The DPRK medals are the first non-breast stars from that country I've bought and the Nigeria medal is an addition to the Nigerian group of three that I bought years ago. The two Malaysian medals are additions to a collection started since an amazing visit to that country back in 2008, where I spent the best part of 2 weeks hunting for medals, despite the fact I was supposed to be there on a romantic getaway with my partner and to attend a friend's wedding.

Well that's a start and I'll post more when I get time, which hopefully will be soon.

1 comment: